Sunday, September 21, 2014

Soap making is full swing

After combining all the ingredients (I use an electronic scale to measure everything to make sure the proportions are exact), stirring until trace is achieved (a soft pudding consistency) I pour the soap into a mold.  It cures for two days, then this happens:


I am peeling the paper lining to the mold off of the soft soap.
Then slicing the bar.  I love this stage, the soap is still soft enough to mold just a bit.

After two months (!) of curing, all the water is removed, and the hard bar is ready to use.  Since our climate is so very dry here, the cured soap is magically hard -- and therefore it lasts such a long time.
If you keep it well drained after every use, it can last 6 months or more.

These batches will be in my Etsy shop starting November 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment